20210112

Yusoof & Zakhir

2008, Pasar Seni Station. 09:00 PM

It was my first job, the hours were long, but the work was easy, at least in hindsight. Although I like to think I was a much more happier person back then, I'm sure I had my fair share of complaints.

The interchange station is Masjid Jamek, but I always got off one station earlier, to stretch my legs and get a whiff of that night time KL carbon monoxide flavoured air. Polluted, definitely, but KL has character, or whatever you call those green chunks floating in the Klang river.

A young man approaches me, late-20s, clean clothes, but with a backpack too big for him.

"I'm really sorry, can you spare me some change? I just got here from Alor Setar and I think I just got pickpocketed. I just need to get a cab to my friend's place," he pleaded.

It was my first job, the hours were long, the work was easy, but the pay wasn't great. I took out a RM50 bill from my wallet and handed it to him.

He thanked me a few times and asked for my number, so he could pay me back. I told him to pay it forward.

I skipped a couple meals that week.

---

2012, Lebuh Ampang. 10:00 PM

I was in my second job, the hours were longer, the work was neverending, and the pay still wasn't that great. Ironically I still think I was a lot happier then.

It was the hour around KL when the office workers start to return to their burrows, and the actual city dwellers show themselves. More depressed faces instead of stressed faces. More worries, more untold stories. I sit down at the mamak opposite Pasar Seni to grab some supper and unwind.

A young man approaches me, early-30s, clean clothes, but with a-- wait a minute.

"I'm really sorry, can you spare me some change? I just got here from Alor Setar and I think I just got pickpocketed. I just need to get a cab to my friend's place."

I stared blankly at him for a moment. "I think I gave you 50 bucks the last time." 

Without as much as a blink, he turned away, walked a few metres out of the shop, and tried the same thing on another passerby.

In hindsight, I should have felt some regret, or anger. But I remember chuckling to myself. The supper was quite good too.

---

It's 2021, and while the country (and the world) is in a mess, I'm doing relatively well, career-wise. The work can be tough, but the pay is enough.

Yet I've never been as happy as the time when I didn't have enough money and found out I gave RM50 to a grifter.

Good night folks. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment